Sunday, May 28, 2006

Chapter 6: The Avengers

I am writing the darkest chapter of the story, more than 3000 people get killed and only one person killed 3000. Is it really bad to write something that just happened in your head? I begin to re-examine my morals, was it right to sacrifice my story for the sake of the lives of 3000 fictional characters? Was it even believable that one man will be driven by vengeance to kill over 3000 unarmed warriors? It is a powerful thing being a writer, you play "god" you control the lives of the characters you've created and somehow you cannot control what they do. You know what they will do, which is to say that you know their future. But somehow, they have their own free will, something that you cannot control. And they would do things that you, as a writer would at one time regret.

3000 men die at the hands of a vengeful warrior. Is it even possible? Could a man be driven by this very strong emotion to just throw away his regard for human life and slaughter those peoples who have less to do with his loss? It is fiction I know, but how does it reflect on the person who writes this gruesome and cruel, fictional reality? Do I have the same disregard for human life as the warrior who killed the 3000? Of course I will defend myself, that although it is very evil that I write, I do not think it reflects my morality. From the very first time I have taken up a pen rather than a sword I have sworn like all writers do, to tell the truth, to write what is, and what will happen. The story of the 3000 killed by one man is what was supposed to happen, I wrote it because it was how my pen has directed me to write it, and it was what my character had decided to do. Free will!

I hope that in writing this, I would take note later on of what I have written and what my characters have done, I hope that later on "playing god" would teach me more valuable virtues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home